SubjectRe: sound & hdd = the usual lowlatency problems
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Wakko Warner wrote:

> > Your problem is very likely not hardware related.
> > The problem lies in the kernel which,while the disk is under stress, does not
> > run your sound-app for a time which is bigger than your audio buffer,
> > and therefore the sound skips.
>
> Why does everyone insist on it's skipping?!?! It's dragging. Remember
> 8track tapes?!?!

Not wanting to contradict you, but are you completely sure that the
dragging you are hearing isn't actually a mild form of skipping? ie if it
skips very slightly at regular intervals, this could sound like dragging?

> I'm sure it's hardware related because that machine has never done this when
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> <snip>

> There's nothing wrong with the hardware itself. When it ran 2.0.3x I never
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Um? I'm slightly confused here. What excatly do you think is causing the
problem?

> had a problem except when there was network activity. The problem went away
> when I got a PCI sound card. I kept the old sb16 for other things (lots of
> programs didn't like the es1370 driver and the sb16 worked just fine). The
> 16 would drag, but not the pci card. Now, the machine was upgraded and the
> old parts upgraded another machine. I threw a sb card in it so that I could
> play deathmatch games between me and friends with sound.
>
> But the bottom line is, it's not skipping period. It drags just like the
> old 8tracks. When the machine gets taken down (which may not be for a long
> time, it's on a ups and I don't reboot machines unless I do upgrades, this
> is a nonissue for the machine)

So the sb16 drags under network activity on 2.0.3x on one machine and
under heavy disk load on 2.2.x on another machine, yes?

It does sound like a resource conflict to me, but I assume you've checked
that. Does the kernel know about both of the sb's dma channels?

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

The American Dental Association announced today that most plaque tends
to form on teeth around 4:00 PM in the afternoon.

Film at 11:00.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.043 / U:0.064 seconds]