SubjectRe: [bigmem-patch] 4GB with Linux on IA32
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Kanoj Sarcar wrote:

>For example, driver and fs code which operate on user pages might
>need to be changed. I hear that Stephen's rawio code made it into

Yes. Or better I don't want to change the lowlevel blockdevice internals
so I give to such code always regular pages to eat.

>2.3.13, so would your patch work if a rawio request was made to
>a range of user pages that were in bigmem area? Also, debuggers

No idea about rawio (I have not yet read the rawio code).

For debuggers I'll add a kmap to access_one_page in ptrace.c, thanks.

>Basically, any code that does a pte_page and similar calls is suspect,

Yes it is. But only if such code can deal with anonymous or shm or
vmalloced pages.