SubjectRe: Prioritized I/O
David Olofson wrote:
> I'd split the problem i two parts; 1) start access time, and 2)
> guaranteed transfer rate.
>
> The distinction won't help much if you really need 1) all the time, but
> in most applications, you need 1) only when starting to _read_, and then
> 2) for the actual (buffered) streaming.
>
> For 1) there are all the problems with disk access time and other
> requests being processed when you need to get in, but for 2), "all" you

Theorizing about this is good. But not too much.

Why would you want a guaranteed start time?

When a user presses the "start" button, you would like to be able to
start immediatly playing that raw video stream at 6Mb per second?

If it's a user pressing that button, getting that guaranteed rate of
6Mb per second is essential for the quality of the result. But waiting
for the 3Mb buffer to fill before starting, is not all that bad.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------