SubjectRe: Your backup is unsafe!

It seems like adding shortnames to the low level file listing is a
mistake.

It seems that we can solve this using user space tools.

I don't see an ioctl to access long/short names, nor a mount option for
selecting long or short. But that would be very easy to add.

Then, we can have an LFNBK tool in Linux. Simply saves the
association between short and long names, and allows you to
restore them.

A simple patch to 'ls' would allow you to choose between long
and short names.

There is the issue of symlinks. It would be interesting to investigate
supporting symlinks using 'Shortcuts'. This is the closest equivalent.
Windows would see them as something intelligible, they work in a similar
way under windows.

One minor note. One can currently access a file using it's
shortname, just not easily see or set the association between
them from a user level. That simply functionality is all that
is missing. The main issue is whether that functionality should
be open to standard unix tools. My vote is that it should NOT be.

What do you all think?

BTW, I could add this. However, I currently do not have any time at all.
If no one gets around to adding this, I may add some of this functionality
once I have some time.

Max

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.107 / U:0.252 seconds]