    SubjectRe: RealMagic DVD-cards
    There are specs available which require a lot of money and NDAs and lots of
    agreements, lawyers, etc. The software codec for windows encorporates so called
    "un reverse engineerable" code which makes things extra difficult. It also just
    happens to be illegal to use the code without licensing in various contries. I
    expect that a site like kerneli.org would have to hold any dvd code outside of
    certain countries.

    Jon.

    "B.W. McAdams" wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > ... In order to protect their habit of selling the
    > > same movie in different countries at different times and different prices
    > > the DVD vendors use crypto and country coding. People are breaking this
    > > stuff but its non trivial
    >
    > I'm assuming the DVD industry hasn't been overly cooperative in the matter? I
    > would think that to some degree, the decoding specs would be published so that
    > hardware manufacturers could get access to them. Is it reverse engineering on
    > everyone's end? Or just ours?
    >
    > -brendan
    >
    > --
    > Brendan W. McAdams | H: (305)859-2181
    > Programmer/Systems Administrator | W: (305)377-2880
    > Plexus InterActive | email:brendan@plexmedia.com
    > http://www.plexmedia.com
    >
    > "Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then
    > do it. "
    > -- Robert A. Heinlein
    >
    > -

    Jonathan C. Masters (jonathan@oxlug.org)
    PGP: www.brookes.ac.uk/~95227860/KEY

    "Upon this rock I will build my church,
    and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

    -- Matthew 16, 17-18

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:3.580 / U:0.368 seconds]