Subject2.2.10 --> 2.2.11: dramatically increased CPU use
Under kernel v2.2.10, the CPU use of Q3Test v1.07 (Quake3 Test) is
below 1%; under v2.2.11 it is ~20%.

The game is run as a dedicated server, so there is no user I/O
(screen, kbd, mouse) involved. Once the game is running and with
no players, there is no disk activity either.

I've been running Q3Test under kernel v2.2.10 for about a month.
Throughout that period, top always showed an unloaded (no players
logged in) CPU use of below 1%. A few days ago, I upgraded to kernel
v2.2.11. I noticed today that running Q3Test consumes about 20% of
the CPU clocks.

Well, the only thing I changed in the past week was the kernel. Just
to be sure, though, I rebuilt v2.2.10, rebooted, and ran Q3Test again.
Once again, the CPU use is below 1%.

Did I change any kernel options between versions? Not intentionally.
After unpacking v2.2.11 I copied the .config file from the v2.2.10
directory into the v2.2.11 tree and ran "make oldconfig". I accepted
the defaults for the new options, meaning that my system memory use is
capped at 1GB and no new devices are supported.

My system is RedHat v6.0, with all RH updates applied and running the
2.2.1x kernel. Hardware: Celeron/400MHz, 192MB RAM, EIDE hard disks,
3C905B and 3C589 NICs.

I typically run Q3Test as an Internet-accessible server, which means
that it sends a heartbeat to the id Software. The change seen in CPU
use occurres whether I run as an Internet server (heartbeat) or
locally on the LAN (no heartbeat). This suggests to me that the
problem is not related to the use of one or both NICs.

Q3Test is the only application I've seen use dramatically more CPU
than previously, but, then, I don't run top on a regular basis.
Still, what are the odds that this problem only affects this one
application?

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thank
you.

*** Steve Snyder ***

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.024 / U:1.452 seconds]