SubjectRe: Key features that should go into 2.4 ...
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but

> Lots of environments rely on nfs for file-sharing, and today you often
> have to fight when you're going to use Linux as an nfs-client
> (especially with 2.2 which seems to have triggered various bugs in
> nfs-servers). You can almost forget to use Linux as an nfs-server for
> non-Linux machines though.

first you complain about under-tested, ineffective Linux nfs,

> I, and many many others, believe that if Linux are going to get
> accepted (and used) in such environments then it has to have a working
> nfs-support, both client and server. If the feature-freeze means no
> working nfs3 I hardly recommend you all to reconsider this. A (IMHO)
> working solution would be to do the feature-freeze, but push the
> development of the nfs-part into working state and into the kernel.

and then you suggest that a set of even less tested, experimental
patches be applied to improve this situation.

Trond, HJ, G. Allen and others have put in a lot of work, for which
we're very grateful. It _is_ a little confusing (and disappointing)
that there are different versions of three different NFS client and
server patches (and then there's the ac series, which may, or may not
include or conflict with any of these), but blindly applying them,
especially when Linus has expressed reservations at the design and/or
implementation of some of them is not the magic bullet that you might
like to think it is.

It's by no means a final solution but the code in 2.2 (and 2.3) works
quite well for many of us. It would be rather troublesome if it stopped
working again. The well documented and easily found patches improve
matters for many people, but (correct me if I'm mistaken) there is little
evidence that they're are harmless as you suggest.

(And why people running silly old versions of IRIX think that NFSv3 will
help I have _no_ idea :)

Matthew.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.040 / U:0.092 seconds]