SubjectRe: WARNING: GCC 2.9.5 & Linux
<SNIP>
> Will this problem be fixed with the Linux kernel to bring it into
> (closer) compliance with ANSI/ISO standards? IMHO, it can only be a
> good thing to have code which is (close to) 100% compliant with
> recognized and widely used standards.
>
> Which sections of code are affected by this?

this is an old issue, you should read the archived mails to get a clue
BTW http://www.kt.opensrc.org made a good resume too

<SNIP>
> I'm not sure exactly what the problem is here. The last I heard, the
> "approved" compiler for 2.0.x was 2.7.2.3. Which is strange, in my
> mind. I started using 2.8.1 when it first appeared, and had absolutely
> no problems with kernel compiles, except for a problem with X with >
> 2.0.35, which a patch fixed (said patch was never included in the kernel
> for some strange reason, although it was well-tested and stable, and
> needed). Later, when I got around to actually installing RH 5.1, there
> was egcs. Never had a problem there, either. All my kernels were stock,
> too. Am I just an anomaly?

nope.. you are just lucky. from the NEWS file for gcc 2.91.66 for egcs 1.1

"More major improvements have been made to the alias analysis code. A new
option to allow front-ends to provide alias information to the optimizers
has also been added (-fstrict-aliasing). -fstrict-aliasing is off by
default now, but will be enabled by default in the future."

HTH

Carlo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.704 / U:0.092 seconds]