    SubjectRe: [patch] lowlatency-2.2.10-N2, 'multimedia latency improvement' patch
    On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    >this is the next version of the 'low latencies' patch. Changes relative to
    [..]
    >buffer cache and page cache functions - without impacting functionality.
    [..]

    I can't see why you added many run_task_queue calls. For the record,
    run_task_queue sleeps only for the loopback device (and that's the reason
    wakeup_bdflush() may deadlock). The only two reasons for calling
    run_task_queue are:

    1) we need to wait for I/O completation to go ahead, so queue the request
    and run it immediatly.
    2) there are no free request slots available.

    Another performance/latency related bug to fix is in the buffer flushing
    routines (and I fixed it in my dead CVS tree longs ago). We can avoid
    browsing the LOCKED lru list while going to flush dirty buffers to disk.
    In the LOCKED list there _can't_ be dirty buffers that are waiting to be
    flushed to disk. We can left the flushed buffers in the locked list.
    There's no point in refiling the clean buffers to move them from the
    LOCKED list to the CLEAN lru list. (the fix is trivial:
    s/BUF_LOCKED/BUF_DIRTY in the `for(i=xxx...' loops).

    Andrea

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:0.196 seconds]