    SubjectPCI irq sharing and X on Linux
    Date
    Hi from Spain.

    Sorry to disturb people in this list. This relates to: Linux
    2.2.35, Riva128, XFree86, irq sharing.
    I don't belong to the list, so I would appreciate any help
    sent to my email. The question is if X 3.3.2 has problems
    sharing PCI interrupts, and if, being the case, this is
    solved in X 3.3.3.1. If you have patience to study the
    problem, please read on.

    In the book "Linux device drivers", on the chapter on
    interrupt handling, it is mentioned that including SA_SHIRQ
    flag when a driver installs its interrupt, the driver will
    behave well as about interrupt sharing.

    Because of a bunch of reasons (find the PC composition
    below), I need to share IRQ11 between the PCI graphics card
    and the PCI lan card, but I get genuine Linux crashes:
    -If having done 'ifconfig ...' I start X.
    -If having started X ('ifconfig ...' commented where
    appropiate on rc.d), I do 'ifconfig ...'.
    A hard reset is needed. I use ne2k-pci as module to support
    the lan card (clone based on Realtek 8029AS chip). The
    relevant line is:
    if (request_irq(dev->irq, ei_interrupt, SA_SHIRQ, dev->name,
    dev)) return -EAGAIN;
    But I have no idea if X servers (SVGA for Elsa Victory
    Erazor with Riva 128) are well behaved about interrupt
    sharing. Do you know about this? Or do you guess if I miss
    something?
    Assigning on bios IRQ5 to the Elsa PCI slot (and not using
    at all COM4/IRQ5 (see below)) all works perfectly in Linux
    and X. Consider that the PC also boots in W98 and NT4 and
    works perfectly on both (PCI irq sharing is admitted and,
    moreless, documented in these operating systems).
    Looking for related cases on the net, I see that people tend
    to assign unique interrupts to devices, avoiding interrupt
    sharing.

    Sincerely, Javier Vizcaino.

    P.D. The PC is MMX200 (switchable at 3x75 or 3x83) on Asus
    TX97 mobo (Intel TX chipset), 96 MB, 4 GB (mobo primary IDE
    IRQ14), sound ISA AWE32 (IRQ7, cuaternary IDE IRQ10 with CD
    4X), CDROM 24X (mobo secondary IDE IRQ15), diskettes 1.44
    and 1.2 (mobo, IRQ6), 4 COM's (COM1/IRQ4 and COM2/IRQ3 on
    mobo, COM3/IRQ9 and COM4/IRQ5 on ISA card), 3 LPT's
    (monochrome, mobo, ISA card), main VGA PCI Elsa Victory
    Erazor (4 MB, Riva 128, IRQ11), second VGA PCI S3 Virge, ISA
    monochrome adaptador, PS/2 mouse (mobo, IRQ12), USB mouse
    (IRQ11), standard and USB keyboards, PCI lan card NE2000
    type (chip Realtek 8029AS, IRQ11), bootable with lilo on the
    MBR in W98 (FAT32), NT4-SP4 (NTFS) or Linux 2.2.35. Only in
    W98 second VGA (S3) and USB devices are supported, but
    interrupt sharing works, as well as in NT4. In Linux, with
    'mdacon', I have a couple of virtual sessions on the
    monochrome. There are two color monitors and a monochrome
    one.
    Assignable IRQ's: COM1/IRQ4, COM2/IRQ3, COM4/IRQ5,
    sound/IRQ7, COM3/IRQ9, IDE4/IRQ10, lan-Elsa
    graphics-USB/IRQ11 (PCI sharing), PS/2 mouse/IRQ12,
    IDE1/IRQ14, IDE2/IRQ15. I plan to add other IDE disk, an
    internal IDE Zip, a CDRW and a DVD, taking out the CD 4X,
    and totalling six IDE devices. The case is a semitower with
    three 5"1/4 bays. The CD/CDRW/DVD/1.2 floppy will total
    four, so the 1.2 floppy, seldom used, is accessed at the
    back of the PC (I cut the case and managed to fix the 1.2
    floppy).

    Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. javizca@bbvnet.com
    http://www.automodelismo.com http://ability53.hypermart.net
    Starting point: (-1)^(-1) = -1
    Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
    Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing: -1 = 1 (ln(-1) is
    complex, but exists)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.068 / U:89.540 seconds]