SubjectRe: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream nonsense
Jamie Lokier <lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> said:

[...]

> Apparently "GUI lusers" can't use archiving tools.
> Which is no big deal for copying, but a pain when they want to attach
> a "compound document" to an email using they're old favourite mailer.
>
> I do think it's worth having compound documents _as files_ one way or
> another.

MIME type albod/text et al or something like that? Won't work unless
_everybody_ agrees on it. And when (if) they agree, you could also package
a directory as multiple parts in MIME, no kernel/libc/anything support
needed.

> > 2) You can use it to break down complex files into a series of less
> > complex, but related files, for applications such as word
> > processors, desktops, spreadsheets, bla bla bla. This would be
> > for the purposes of:

All those applications are perfectly able to use directories to stuff the
"complex file" into.

> > - splitting text, image, other-data(tm) streams

This means there has to be support for _arbitrary_ data structuring inside,
i.e., a full-fledged filesystem. But we have that already...

> > - embedding icons into files, and other GUI related metadata
> > storage.

Should be per-user, not per-file

> > - keeping related metadata under one 'umbrella'
> > - the example cbbrowne@godel.brownes.org proposed about
> > keeping RCS information under one file with multiple
> > forks, I admit, looks cool.

RCS does fine without this.

> You forgot one:
>
> - I'd like to invoke "gimp my_document/picture_number_1" without
> having to "export" the image first and "import" it back after
> editing.

Easy! Use a directory... works today, everywhere where gimp runs.

[...]

> You've shown why it must be implement in user space, that's all. It
> could have kernel support by way of _efficiency_ and _convenience_.

It _is_ in the kernel, it is efficient, it is convenient. It is spelled
"D I R E C T O R I E S".
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl