SubjectRe: The stability crisis
>>>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

Ralf> On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 04:53:44PM -0700, david parsons wrote:
>> david parsons \bi/ A ksymoops'ed panic is a lot more useful than \/
>> "the system mysteriously crashed"

Ralf> One of the things I liked when starting my work on Linux/O200 is
Ralf> that IRIX (to be obsoleted ;-) produces these nice kernel core
Ralf> dumps, crashlogs and automated analysis of the cause of the
Ralf> crash. Something like that will help both admins and kernel
Ralf> developers.

YUCK

Well IRIX boxes tend to have a PROM in which there is a file system
and a disk driver, thus when the system goes totally boink they can
escape to those and still do the core dump. That is pretty hard on
todays PC hardware.

Other than that I still haven't found much more useful info in those
monster dumps you get on commercial system than what the OOPS provides.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.108 / U:0.000 seconds]