SubjectRe: (reiserfs) RE: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with
Date
Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes:
> On 22-Jun-99 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

>> Something that folks should keep in mind is that as far as I have been
>> able to determine, Microsoft isn't actually planning on using streams
>> for anything.

Well, I already responded to this. Streams _are_ being used now.

> Indeed. I get the impression that they added it to NTFS from the
> start because it was the fashion of the time, and they didn't want
> to have a bullet-point missing compared to OS/2 (Appletalk would
> have been secondary, I expect).

Actually, this brings to mind a mistake that Microsoft made.
NTFS supports OS/2 extended attributes _separately_ from the
multiple data stream support.

> I suspect they're trying hard to avoid using streams altogether.

Nope, multiple data streams give Microsoft:
1. good performance with large compound documents
2. something to wound Samba with
3. justification for the Windows upgrade

The second two reasons are evil. The first two reasons will hurt us.

> Since NT5 is using the Vertias filesystem,

No. The operating system formerly known as NT 5 will be using an
updated NTFS on the Vertias LVM. On factory-installed systems,
there won't be a PC partition table. (think of how Microsoft
introduced FAT32 in Windows 95 OEM releases)

The new NTFS adds reparse point support. This solves the compatibility
problems with multi-stream files. We can stop arguing how to solve the
problem, because it has already been solved and the solution will be
used on office networks everywhere.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.144 / U:1.988 seconds]