SubjectRe: PATCH: /dev/nvram cleanups.
Hi Philipp.

>>> Why does it mean that? The kernel's timer interrupt routine never
>>> reads the RTC anyway - in fact, apart from setting the system
>>> clock during the boot-up procedure, nothing in the kernel's boot
>>> process touches the RTC or CMOS at all.

>> True for ix86. Other archs may be different.

> timer_interrupt (which is the timer interrupt) calls
> do_timer_interrupt calls set_rtc_mmss.

I note that the call to set_rtc_mmss only occurs if certain time
synchronisation hardware is installed, and even then, it only occurs
once every 11 MINUTES.

I would presume the said time synchronisation hardware to have been
initialised prior to checking out the CMOS, as part of the system
clock initialisation, if the driver for it is in the kernel. If so,
your claim appears to be that we need more than 11 minutes to
determine the size of the CMOS, which is ridiculous.

OTOH, if the driver for the said time synchronisation hardware isn't
in the kernel, the said function won't get called until after we have
sized the CMOS, so again it isn't a problem.

> Am I missing anything ?

You appear to be missing a lot if you really believe that we would
need anywhere near 11 minutes to determine the size of the CMOS.

Best wishes from Riley.