    SubjectRe: endiannes of the kernel
    On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 10:51:15AM -0400, James K Whiting wrote:
    > I am porting Linux to a controller board using the Hitachi SH4 CPU. This
    > CPU can operate in either big-endian mode or little-endian mode. Since I
    > have control over the hardware and software, I can choose either one
    > freely. Is there any advantage to choosing one over the other for the Linux
    > kernel? Or should I choose based on other requirements?

    The kernel already works on architectures of both endians, so this is
    not an issue. Pick your favourite poison.

    Matthew Wilcox <>
    "Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of
    specific companies. Unix, by contrast, is not so much a product as it is a
    painstakingly compiled oral history of the hacker subculture." - N Stephenson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:4.496 seconds]