SubjectRe: endiannes of the kernel
On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 10:51:15AM -0400, James K Whiting wrote:
> I am porting Linux to a controller board using the Hitachi SH4 CPU. This
> CPU can operate in either big-endian mode or little-endian mode. Since I
> have control over the hardware and software, I can choose either one
> freely. Is there any advantage to choosing one over the other for the Linux
> kernel? Or should I choose based on other requirements?

The kernel already works on architectures of both endians, so this is
not an issue. Pick your favourite poison.

Matthew Wilcox <>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of
specific companies. Unix, by contrast, is not so much a product as it is a
painstakingly compiled oral history of the hacker subculture." - N Stephenson