    SubjectRe: tcp or telnet problem?
    Hi Joe.

    >>> Running redhat 6.0 with redhat's kernel 2.2.5-22.

    >>> I telnet into my customer's box, they on a DSL line,
    >>> me on a dialup.

    >> YOUR computer is running RedHat 6.0? Or the customer's
    >> box is running RedHat 6, or both?

    > Customer's box is RH6, mine is RH 5.2 or win98 or solaris
    > or sunos 5.3

    >>> I can login, and do most things just fine. But if I do
    >>> anything that produces more than about 1/3rd of a screen
    >>> of info, my output goes away. I can no longet see
    >>> anything I type, nor any output from any operation. A
    >>> second telnet's ps shows that my commands are being
    >>> executed, but all output is going in the bit bucket.

    >> This sounds like what happens in the Win95 telnet
    >> program that comes with Win95.

    > No, that will show a full screen of formatted info, then
    > start trashing things when it gets to the bottom line if
    > your stty setting is not synchronized to the number of
    > lines you have the telnet client configured for and/or
    > your TERM is not set for vt100.

    Having made extensive use of Win95's telnet, I can confirm that the
    above bears no relation to reality - it's the most broken version of
    telnet I've ever come across...

    1. It does NOT export the screen height and width across the
    connection, contrary to the standard. However, it appears
    to export some random numbers in their place. As a result,
    the far end is usually under the impression that you are
    running with a screen with some totally wierdo dimensions.
    I've seen both 35x7 and 16x93 come up at the remote end,
    and the same remote end will come up with different settings
    for different sessions. Ignore this at your peril.

    2. It claims to support VT100 correctly, but half the codes
    just don't work. This is especially true of the colour
    select sequences, which will correctly change colour (but
    usually NOT to the colour it should change to), but the
    code to restore the default settings is ignored.

    3. Watch out for programs that send the VT100 control code
    CUP (Cursor up), as Win95 telnet disables the keyboard
    if that code is sent.

    Basically, scrap it and install a decent telnet - there are plenty
    available from the net. Try the SimTel archives for starters...

    Incidentally, the Win98 telnet is NOT the same beast. It consistantly
    reports a screen size of 0x0 and the bug referred to in item (3)
    doesn't exist on it. As for item (2), it correctly changes colour, and
    chooses the correct colour when doing so, but still suffers from the
    ESC [ 0 m sequence being ignored...

    Mind you, this is probably heavily off-topic here - I won't be making
    any further comments on it though, so don't bother flaming...

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:0.836 seconds]