SubjectRe: porting linux to DSP
"John P. Looney" <jplooney@compapp.dcu.ie> wrote:
> I always thought that an open source "Geek Card", with decent OS support
> would rock. Give the gimp access to a PCI card with 32MB of RAM, an FPGA
> and a decent DSP, and it would fly...imagine plugins that load a gate
> description for accelerating dithering to the FPGA, and then DMAs an image
> to it. While it's there, you could be using it for seti@home, bzip2,
> whatever has been written to use it...hmm ?
>
> No need to port Linux to a DSP, to make advantage of it...just provide a
> half decent API for it...

I agree--I'd love to have such a card. But the original poster was
noting that current Pentia were quite expensive compared to many DSP
chips. Requiring the Pentium *and* the DSP would cost even more.
He was asking for a native (to the DSP) port of Linux, not a peripheral.

Perhaps the Palm port (or some other non-MMU architecture) could be
adapted to a DSP. Unless the DSP had a complete GCC port available,
however, a lot of work would be required to produce one before even
starting on porting Linux. And although many DSPs have enough control
instructions to implement an OS, they aren't likely to be very efficient
at it (such that code size would exceed even that of RISC processors).

-Ed Hall
edhall@weirdnoise.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.091 / U:0.220 seconds]