SubjectRe: porting linux to DSP
Date

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned in why Linux on a DSP is absurd is
memory management. True multi-user requires hardware-supported
sequestering of process memory access. That's why you need a 386+ or
68010+ for any real unix. This is how OSes, mostly unix, have effected the
design of the predominant general-purpose CPU chips.

Another tiny little issue is that gcc is designed for single-stack
register machines. I don't recall gcc.info even bothering to say "oh yeah,
Von Neumann architecture." DSPs are Harvard architecture, aren't they?
As with stack machines, I'm guessing extending the gcc machine description
for Harvard architecture is basically a complete re-write. A quick glance
at man gcc doesn't show any DSP-specific options. What gcc can reasonably
do is what RTL can reasonably do, Register Transfer Language, used to
describe CPU targets. DSPs and Forth engines are not describable in
current RTL.

My guess is that building a unix-capable DSP is easier than porting Linux
to existing DSPs. Might make for a nice audio box :o) Is this a national
initiative? ;o)

Rick Hohensee
my Amiga stuff is in ../mus/misc in Aminet

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.091 / U:0.748 seconds]