    SubjectRe: New virtual in-memory file system
    On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

    > Hi Steve.
    >
    > > [uuencoded tarball]
    >
    > >> ===8<=== CUT ===>8===
    >
    > >> Obvious comment: What's all that junk for? I would presume it's some
    > >> sort of encrypted version of your file system, but I've no means of
    > >> handling it so can't do anything with it...
    >
    > > You're kidding, aren't you?
    >
    > Nope. I originally assumed it was uuencoded, but uudecode says
    > otherwise...

    Works here.

    > Also, what's the point of using uuencode nowadays? All it does is
    > bloat the filesize unnecessarily, thus increasing the download costs
    > associated with it...

    This sounded unlikely to me, so I sent two messages to myself. The first
    contained virtfs.tar.gz uuencoded + my .sig. The second had a message
    containing only my .sig with virtfs.tar.gz as a MIME attachment.

    condor:~/mail/main$ ls -l test?
    -rw------- 1 tr tr 6365 Jul 26 16:46 test1
    -rw------- 1 tr tr 6912 Jul 26 16:45 test2
    condor:~/mail/main$

    i.e. on small files like this one, MIME produces larger mails than
    uuencode.

    --
    Tim