SubjectRe: UPS's
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 doctor@fruitbat.org wrote:

>> >I have also been informed that UPS's by APC for around $200 will
>> >do what I want.. so that will be the next addition.. thanks
>> >all..
>>
>> Get a "Best Power UPS" instead. They are higher quality IMHO,
>> cheaper, and they directly support Linux, and give out source
>> code. APCC does NOT support Linux, does not give out source
>> code, and have been rather careless with respect to the Linux
>> community.
>
>That's interesting. I've always found that Best UPSs were more expensive
>than equivalent APC UPSs. APC's Tech Support was very nice in attitude.

That is a definite change then for sure.

>They didn't support Linux directly, it's true, but they guy did give me
>web URLs for the code Andre was working on (Thanks Andre!).

Yes, they are kind enough to supply you with the address of the
code that will allow them to sell you a UPS. What they don't
tell you was that they threatened Andre with legal action for his
code, which caused a BIG rift on this mailing list last year
(Oct-Nov 98). Despite the company trying to squash Andre's
program, they surely didn't mind making money off selling UPS's
and pointing out Andre's program's existence.

Finally after much discussion with APC, etc... Andre released the
code back under GPL basically to "call their bluff" around April
7th I believe. They realized they had no legal footing and as
far as I know they just shut up.

They are NOT a Linux friendly company however - despite what they
may say on the phone. They'll say whatever you want to hear if
you'll buy one of their products.

>> I have an APC SmartUPS 600, and it is not working. It lasted
>> about 6 months. It died 2 days before Andre Hedrick released his
>> GPL'd APC power software.
>
>I've had my SmartUPS Net-700 for over 2 years without any problems.
>Saved me many a power outage.

Mine didn't because Andre's program would not work on my system
for some reason, and he could not give me the source code because
he was threatened by APC basically. It put both him, and myself
in a bind for a brief period of time as GPL was involved, and I'm
a GNU advocate and a GPL advocate. Things all worked out in the
end for me and Andre, and the program as well. However APC has
left a bad taste in my mouth, and the mouths of many who followed
the thread. You should be able to find it on deja.com easily
enough...

>> Everyone I talk to recommends Best UPS's over APC anyways. I was
>> at both the Best Power, and the APC booths at COMDEX last week,
>> and although APC's booth was larger, the people at the Best booth
>> were much more polite, and friendly. When I asked them about
>> Linux, the Best people were on the ball, and ensured me it worked
>> fantastic with Linux, while the response I got from the APC rep
>> was "Linux? What is that?"...
>
>I tend to put more stock in to the Tech Support people. They're the ones
>who really need to be Linux savy.

Well, I agree, however I put more stock into companies that say
"Yes, we support Linux" or "Here is the source code for a driver
for our product, you can do whatever you need to do to get it to
work in Linux", or "here is a manual, and we will not sue you",
or "NDA? No, you don't have to sign an NDA, what do you think we
are? APCC?" ;o)

>> Just some food for thought.
>
>Always good to hear about others experiences.

Agreed!
Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate GNU advocate
Computer Consultant Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...