SubjectRe: fork or exec thingy.
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Terje Malmedal wrote:

> [Khimenko Victor]
>
> > P.S. Said this I must admit that I was unable to trigger problem
> > with initial script and kernel 2.2.2ac5, 2.2.5ac6 and 2.2.10ac10
> > here (under KSI-Linux 2.1 beta) so it really does not look like
> > kernel problem...
>
> Sometimes you have to run more than one copy of the script in
> parallel to trigger it.
>
> After some experimentation I've found that the problem goes away if I
> compile the kernel without BSD process accounting. Something which is
> nice to have, but not a big loss for me at least.

[Quick background] Mason (see sig) is a tool that creates a
firewall by logging all packets, then watching /var/log/messages for new
packets and creating rules from those packet log entries. Mason is
entirely a bash shell script that constantly forks to run external
commands like grep, sed, awk... [/end]
I run Mason in the background on a Pentium 90 laptop and see the
bash error message maybe once every 4 running hours. I do not have BSD
Process Accounting turned on in any of my kernels.
Is it possible that this is an error that shows up most frequently
when under heavy load or on a low end processor? Would those with high
end processors be willing to run maybe 10 _un_niced copies of rc5 with
Terje's script at nice 10?
Perhaps it's most likely to be seen when there are a _lot_ of
forks/cpu cycle?
Cheers,
- Bill