    SubjectRe: real-time threaded IO with low latency (audio)
    On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Gerhard Mack wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >
    > > the whole 'why sound skips' problem i think lacks one major necessery
    > > component: information. Nobody really ever analyzed what the problem
    > > really is/was. I do have a awe64 soundcard (which i almost never use), if
    > > you (or anyone else) could point to a method to make sound-playback
    > > produce bad quality, i'd be happy to analyze the problem. Is running
    > > mpg123 enough to see the problem? What should i do to make sound skip?

    > Mpg123 will skip as the disk usage gets heavy.
    >
    > Somewhere between 2.2.8 and 2.3.4 something drastically reduced the sound
    > dropouts on my system. I used to be able to make the sound skip even with
    > "mpg123 -b 1024" but that is no longer the case.

    In my experience setting the buffer size to a higher value won't do you a
    blind good as the problem is not input bound but rather on the output
    side. Heavy disk i/o locks out mpg123's buffer process, therefore
    audio_play_samples() doesn't get run often enough. So to me it looks like
    mingos additional schedule()s are certainly in the right ballpark. For a
    simple test case on sound skippishness, disable DMA on an IDE disk and run
    a find on it while playing sound. [Or be the proud owner of any IDE
    chipset that wasn't supported in DMA mode prior to unified ide. :-/]

    Daniel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.070 / U:0.776 seconds]