SubjectRe: Handling file forks in page cache?

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:04:17 +0100
> From: Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk>
>
> iv) as Windows NT currently only uses the non-data forks for
> metadata, store the data fork in the page cache as normal, and
> read the metadata forks directly. This isn't entirely simple as
> a lot of the metadata structures can be bigger than a single
> block, but it should be do-able, right? I guess this is the
> least nasty option, but I'd like comments..
>
> At the risk of spawning the whole to-file-fork-or-not-to-file-fork flame
> war.... I agree, of the four choices, this is the one which I think
> makes the most sense.

If those metadata forks can't grow too hard... We might map them
on the negative offsets (old BSD trick for indirect blocks - they also
have per-inode page caches and indirect blocks are placed on the same
cache; just on the negative offsets). The same would make sense for ext2,
BTW.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.658 / U:0.052 seconds]