SubjectRe: Joking PCI bridges: still another one.

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Gerard Roudier wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:
>
> The latest -ac patches incorporates a wrong change in the alpha specific
> code that breaks the ncr53c8xx driver and most of the sym53c8xx driver
> versions for ALPHA. This change may be reverted and, anyway, a fix will be
> supplied in further diffs (not by me).
>
> So it's a known problem? (phew... relief!) this has been bugging me
> for weeks, and noone could tell me exactly why -ac wouldn't boot. At
> last someone knows why! :)

-ac patches are kind of pre-patches as are official pre-patches from
Linus. You must allow time for maintainers to prepare things as good as
possible for normal patches.

If you follow the kernel list, you couldn't miss other breakage at boot
under ALpha with 53c8xx controllers that wasn't explainable by driver
changes. This has been investigated and, even if I am not the guy that
makes changes for Alpha, I am sure that appropriate fixes will be
available soon.

> You can't supply a diff, but would you know where in the Alpha
> specific code the change is? So that i can try to revert back to the
> 2.2.10 behaviour.

If I would supply diffs for ALpha, given that I donnot have anything to
test changes for Alpha and that my knowledge on Alpha are about null, I
just would mess up everything instead of really helping a single bit.

> (I need 2.2.11pre cause I've been having terrible problem's with
> module loading oopsing, and 2.2.11pre2 apparently has all the fixes
> but so far i can't get it to recognise the sym53c875!).

If you want stuff that does not exist yet, you must hack by yourself. If I
had a system as yours that does not want to boot with 2.2.11-pre2, I would
have reversed the changes in core_pyxis.c, checked that they have no
relationships with other stuff, and then would have given a try with my
hacked tree. No guarantee, neither further helping from me here.

About the latest sym-1.5d patch available at tux site, it probably applies
to 2.3.X kernel, but does not apply to latest 2.2.X due to changes that
went directly to kernel tree and that just broke my patch series.

Gérard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.032 / U:0.272 seconds]