SubjectRe: real-time threaded IO with low latency (audio)
On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 05:59:43PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Maybe three kinds, see:
> many times they cannot meet it's other service requirements. For
> example, real-time processes running under RTLinux have no access to
> any of the Linux services.

This is not quite correct. RT tasks under rtlinux can access all Linux services
indirectly by passing their requests to Linux processes. For example it is quite
easy to have a linux process log data collected by a rt task and, in fact, this
is probably the most common use of RTLinux right now.

> A purely binary distinction between hard and soft real-time is clearly
> not acceptable for all applications. Many applications have
> requirements spanning a continuum between the two. ...

I think that this is confused. Many RT _applications_ include both RT and non RT
components. But hard RT means that the OS guarrantees irq and scheduling latencies to
tasks. This is binary.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.201 / U:0.324 seconds]