    SubjectRe: real-time threaded IO with low latency (audio)

    On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Sam Roberts wrote:

    > Sorry. If it gets your job done, great! I just think its an unfortunate
    > limitation of Linux. That Linux is optimized for throughput is great
    > for servers, and thats important. For personal workstations I don't think
    > its great. [...]

    hm, you havent been following Linux development for too long, have you?
    Latency was always the primary optimization target, bandwith the second.

    > As for the parts of Linux, like the scheduling alogrithm, that appear to
    > be optimized for multi-user time sharing systems, thats flat-out
    > archaic, in my view. [...]

    a severe misconception again. The Linux scheduler is optimized for
    latency, nothing else.

    > [...] Maybe I'm wrong about this, but when you're the
    > only person at the console, "fairness" in sheduling is a little less
    > necessary: you started the damn thing, if you think its taking up too
    > much time from your sound-card, lower its priority!

    nothing prevents you from lowering priority of non-interactive processes

    the whole 'why sound skips' problem i think lacks one major necessery
    component: information. Nobody really ever analyzed what the problem
    really is/was. I do have a awe64 soundcard (which i almost never use), if
    you (or anyone else) could point to a method to make sound-playback
    produce bad quality, i'd be happy to analyze the problem. Is running
    mpg123 enough to see the problem? What should i do to make sound skip?

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:77.684 seconds]