SubjectRe: Is kernel autoconfig possible?
Bill Ward wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I had an idea the other day that would require kernel autoconfig'ing
> (at compile-time), so I was wondering... Would it be possible to include
> a program in the kernel src tarball that could (after being compiled for
> the hardware it's on) probe for hardware that the new kernel would
> understand, but the old one doesn't? I don't know about the
> implementation details of doing something like this, but I would imagine
> that it would be quite non-trivial.
>
> Something like this would be _very_ nice for end-users (read:
> non-techie's), and many distro's could probably make use of it in some
> way or another (specifically, auto-updating the kernel (just nice gcc &
> make to about 20... ;-) )

Please get in touch with Steffen Evers and Riley Williams if you want to
do such things and look in the kernel-list archives for the thread
called 'script for compiling the kernel' (in reverse order :-). You may
also want to check out how caldera manages their hardware recognition,
however, I don't know how good that is.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com> http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)