    SubjectRe: Partition Sizing
    Fred Reimer writes:

    > AFA /tmp is concerned, don't some OS's, like Solaris I believe,
    > "mount" /tmp as a memory filesystem? What would be the
    > benefits/problems with doing this in Linux (assuming that new memory
    > filesystem that was just announced get stable/is a good idea)?

    Slowass 2 has a tmpfs because their UFS implementation is dog slow. So
    they had to do hack up tmpfs to give them a faster /tmp.

    With Linux extfs, it runs as fast as Solaris tmpfs, so there doesn't
    seem much point in a tmpfs implemtation for Linux. If you really want
    a memory-based FS, you may as well just put an ext2fs in a ramdisc.

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.040 / U:187.988 seconds]