Subjectlow priority soft RT?
Anyone thought about allowing soft RT (SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR) tasks with
negative priorities? These would only be executed if no other tasks of
any type are there. Giving a normal Linux task a niceness value won't do
this, as the task will still get some CPU time.

I was just thinking back to past projects, and about a year ago I wished I
had something like this to do background housekeeping tasks for a
distributed application I was writing -- I wanted to do them if possible
on a free system, and only schedule time on some system if they didn't get
scheduled anyway.

Since I'm sure this isn't a new idea, any good reasons not to allow this?
(surely there can't be security implications, right?) I'm not really
interested in doing it myself right now, but I might in the future if
there aren't good reasons otherwise.

Chris Smith <cd_smith@ou.edu>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.153 / U:0.328 seconds]