    SubjectRe: Putting Perl into Linux Kernel
    Christof Damian wrote:

    <snip>
    > Most of this stuff can be done in userspace and should be. But I am
    > always amazed by the strange uses perl (and linux) get into.
    >
    > Java with all its problems could be used for this too.

    I reckon it can _only_ be done in user space, with all that implied
    magic that perl does and that makes me love it: <> operator (how does
    one deal with file-IO in kernel space?), glob magic (shell built into
    kernel?), etc.
    I think it will be impossible to include Perl into the kernel, even if
    there are some funny useful tasks one can find for it.
    Apart from that, however, I can imagine something like a language
    binding for Perl that would enable driver developers to use Perl syntax
    and some of its magic (i.e. lists as intrinsic data types) to quickly
    hack kernel-level drivers, like GTK is to X. Given a working Perl2C
    compiler (work has been done on that, but not enough for such a
    purpose), one could then even insert the resulting C code in the main
    kernel tree.

    But I don't really see so much benefit resulting out of this.
    What _may_ be worth a second thought is some piece of software that is
    to the driver module interface what GTK (or QT :-) is to the Xlib.

    Marc

    --
    Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com> http://marc.mutz.com/
    University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

    PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.071 / U:0.048 seconds]