SubjectRe: AGP & non-root mmap calls: "lending" priviledges to a client
> > For example a client could open a file and pass the handle to a server to
> > print. In your case you could open /dev/mem and pass it to a client.
>
> Arl. You know I have programmed with UNIX for quite a while, but never
> ran across this one. Thanx for the hint.

Its in BSD >= 4.2 and System 5 boxes with streams. Its handy.

One portability gotcha to beware of:
Always send at least one byte of data with the control message

> Hmmm ... As I said before, we have already a working, complete and
> tested driver and you like to pass that over to the freeware

Excellent

> MTRR stuff and so on. There are a couple of neat tricks in it, that
> work around a few problems in both graphics chips as well as
> motherboard chips. After supporting now half a dozen graphics chip
> families for HW 3D and AGP you realize that things don't always work
> as the databooks say ;-)

Oh I can believe that. All too easily.

> Who is the person to send a driver like this to ?

Jeff Hartmann <slicer@ionet.net> is the guy leading the current AGP work
so the obvious one. Can you cc me a copy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.084 / U:0.348 seconds]