    SubjectRe: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

    > JarJar Binks^W^WSupport for CRLF<->LF translation in the kernel
    > must die. Unless somebody has damn good reasons for preserving this
    > bogosity I'm going to exterminate the bloody thing. It is guilty in:
    > a) breaking mmap() semantics.
    > b) breaking lseek() semantics.
    > c) breaking write() semantics.
    > d) being bloody slow, painful and kludgy.
    > e) making FAT support with the new page cache hard.
    > f) confusing the hell of unaware victims^Wusers.
    > g) bringing the list of magical filename extensions into the kernel.
    > h) belonging to userland *and* being already implemented there.
    > If somebody has really convincing arguments for preserving the sucker -
    > tell. Otherwise it will die.

    Kill it. Install podfuk and use

    cat /mnt/file#cr to convert it from dos and

    cat /etc/passwd#crlf > /mnt/file to convert it to dos.

    If this is too inconvient, I guess few lines of C code into libvfs is
    enough to do this kind of translation in userspace [I'm not going to
    write them], so you could actually

    cd /mnt#dos_brain_damage/ and see all files magically converted. You
    could even implement /mnt#dos_brain_damage:txt,doc,c,pas/ if you
    wanted to.

    I'm really Look at Pavel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.024 / U:1.912 seconds]