SubjectRe: Linux box causing network meltdown! HELP!!!
On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 01:35:13AM +0300, Harvey J. Stein wrote:
> The network guys here got that from a sniffer they put on the line.
> They say the weird things about the packet are the ethertype of 8808,
> that it's shorter than the minimum packet size of 64 bytes, and that
> it's a multicast broadcast packet. So, why my box is putting it on
> the wire (especially given that I'm not doing any multicast), and how
> do I stop it? BTW, rebuilding the kernel without multicast support
> doesn't stop these weird packets from going out.

Are you by chance using IPX? If so, disable the autoconfiguration of
the encapsulation. For some reason Linux' 802.x-IPX and Spanning-Tree
don't like each other! If you need to use IPX in a switched enviroment,
you'll have to go with EtherII. In addition there seems to be a problem
if you have more than one encapsulation in use and both use the same
IPX network number, something Windows apparently allows but Linux rejects.

Yours,
Dominik Kubla
--
"Drug misuse is not a disease, it is a decision, like the decision to step
out in front of a moving car. You would call that not a disease but an