SubjectRe: [RFC] - Some notions that I would like comments on

On 19-Jul-99 Alan Cox wrote:
>> Ideally this stuff would be done in linker with profile feedback, but this
>> is
>> an experiment to see what difference it really makes. I'm curious to see if
>> all the mappings slows down runtime much too (which is really a test of the
>> AVL
>> code).
>
> You know Nat Friedman presented a paper on this at Linux Expo this year
> using the linker to re-order programs

I know about grope, but I didn't know about Nat's talk - thanks for the
pointer. That's pretty much the same area, but its nice to be able to make to
work for already-linked programs too.

Certainly doing it in the linker means you can pack things into pages better,
whereas my approach only allows you to rearrange pages, and therefore only
helps the VM system but not the CPU cache hit rate. The advantage is that you
need no special support at compile/link time, so you can do it to anything.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.082 / U:0.392 seconds]