SubjectRe: network problems with 2.2.10-ac11
Hi Alan.

>> Q> ne.c: Probing 0x360
>> Q> ne.c: Probing 0x380

>> The actual detail for the card in question is io=0x360 which is
>> the point at which check_region first returns non-zero, and this
>> is therefore the reason why the ne2000 driver no longer
>> auto-probes ISA cards successfully.

>> It therefore looks like check_region has changed its behaviour
>> somewhere in between.

>> Suggestions?

> Classic mistake. Bet you have a printer port at 0x378 8)

Probably, although it's not used. How come earlier kernels probed the
card fine though, with no difference in the hardware settings?

I can also add that if I specify "ether=9,0x360,eth0" to LILO then the
card is detected fine, and works fine.

For reference, the cards I use were all obtained second hand, and
whilst the IRQ is jumperable, the address is not. I would presume the
address was originally set using some DOS-based program, but that
didn't come with the cards, so I'm basically stuck with whatever they
were last set to...

>> 2. Did you get either of the two patches I sent out recently?
>> One fixed a bug in the top level Makefile and the other
>> corrected the fact that BogoMIPS are usually underestimated
>> somewhat.

> Dont think I did.

I'll resend them to you - they were originally just to L-K so were
probably easy to overlook...

> Having said that bogomip inaccuracy isnt a serious issue 8)

Perhaps if that gets corrected, the various threads about the kernel
sleeping for incorrect periods will go away - I imagine the kernel
sleep is connected with the kernel timer...

Best wishes from Riley.