    SubjectRe: AGP & non-root mmap calls: "lending" priviledges to a client
    > A question that has been presented to us is that of direct mmap() access to
    > AGP bridge-viewed RAM. For our AGP/GART device, the client non-root
    > processes that are coordinated by the X server are handed a "magic cookie"
    > that can be used to "bless" a device file descriptor (allowed inside the
    > kernel) ... and thus allow any mmap as needed directly from the AGP/GART
    > device. In general, then, only smart and X-server coordinated processes are
    > then able to do this, enhancing stability, but decreasing unneeded
    > centralization.
    >
    > Are there any plans to allow "handing over" priviledges to clients, from one
    > process to another? Should a technique of "trusted-cookies" be used to

    It already exists for general handle passing for file handles. Precision Insight
    have a fairly clean working kernel module (free software) in progress for doing
    the direct render resource management 'right' in a similar style to SGI.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:3.434 / U:0.004 seconds]