    SubjectRe: gdb strangness Under 2.3.11-pre1

    On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Jeremy Katz wrote:

    > Doing some development and using gdb to try to debug seems to be causing
    > some sort of kernel problem under 2.3.11-pre1. When tracing a running
    > process, I get to the point where attempting to execute any command yields
    > the following.
    > Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

    yes this bug was introduced by the 'many threads' changes in pre-2.3.11.
    The changes are a rather massive rewrite all across x86-land [we got rid
    of the one-TSS-one-thread limitation] - i tried to fix all bugs, but i
    think this gdb thing remained unfixed. My best guess right now is that
    %db7 is being handled incorrectly somehow - although i cannot see how.

    other things that might pop up:

    - possible LDT related bugs - Wine people please watch out.
    - ptrace/strace related bugs
    - possible vm86 related bugs - i tested this rather extensively

    [there is another x86 change that went in as well recently with
    pre-2.3.11, the 'lazy TLB flush feature' which was planned for quite some
    time already - bug the gdb bug predates the lazy-TLB-flush changes. The
    lazy-TLB feature lets us cut down on the number of TLB flushes rather
    heavily, in a typical x86 Linux box about 80-90% of TLB flushes are now

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.021 / U:12.428 seconds]