    SubjectRe: New kernel/resource.c
    On 17-Jul-99 Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Tom Leete wrote:
    >>
    >> I was thinking that kernel/resource.c was a general distributed allocator of
    >> ports, addresses, etc. & that it was also for USB, firewire, whoever needed
    >> such things.
    >
    > The code in kernel/resource.c indeed _is_ meant to be used for anything.
    >
    > That obviously doesn't mean that it is necessarily _suitable_ for
    > everything out there - it's definitely aimed for "regions of space",
    > whether that space is IO port space, memory space, or IO-mapped memory
    > space. Or any other kind of one-dimensional "extent resource".
    >
    > The resource code itself is completely agnostic about what resource it
    > handles.
    >
    > However, there are then specific resources: the actual descriptors that
    > are manipulated by the generic resource functions. THOSE have specific
    > meaning. The two central ones are right now called "pci_io_resource" and
    > "pci_mem_resource", and they are "central" only in the sense that those
    > two resources are all that the old code ever handled at all.

    why not name the structures with a generic name
    and give the instance a use specific name
    --
    Simon Kenyon
    irial limited

    10 Castle Avenue Tel: +353-1-8530624
    Clontarf Mobile: +353-87-2805470
    Dublin 3 Email: S.Kenyon@irial.com
    Ireland Web: http://www.irial.com/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:178.720 seconds]