    SubjectRe: Memory hogs
    On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:

    > > Once you're completely out of memory, you're too late. We
    > > can simply start killing once we get very very near...
    >
    > That sounds much easier than it is. Once your "near", the machine is
    > swapping as if its life depends on it (which happens to be the case :-).

    Reinforcing that we need to kill something (Richard, are
    you listening?).

    > So you decide to shoot my xfig. It wants to save my work.

    force_sig(SIGKILL) will usually do it's job quite well :)

    It's been extensively tested and it's resemblance to a
    serial killer was negligable :)

    > What I can immagine to work, is to change the system to
    > "single-user" mode quicly. Now every memory allocation will block
    > until we're out of the single-user mode. Only our selected program
    > is allowed to continue.

    Sounds like a winning idea if my OOM killer turns out not
    to work good enough in all cases, but experience shows
    that already works quite well...

    regards,

    Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.
    | Le Reseau netwerksystemen BV: http://www.reseau.nl/ |
    | Linux Memory Management site: http://www.linux.eu.org/Linux-MM/ |
    | Nederlandse Linux documentatie: http://www.nl.linux.org/ |