SubjectRe: 2.2.5-15 aic7xxx problem?
Hi Jeff.

> Recently found time to upgrade to Redhat's 2.2.5-15 kernel; it
> works fine. Got the corresponding source RPM and tried to
> compile my own -- compile went fine. Problem is, booting with
> the new kernel puts me in a SCSI loop.

You are aware that RedHat issued a 2.2.5-22 kernel over a month ago?
According to RedHat's errata page, this was to fix as vulnerability in
the kernel, but I can state that the -22 kernel is far more stable on
my systems than the -15 kernel was...

> Whereas the stock kernel gives something like this on boot:

> scsi0: blah blah
> scsi0: blah blah
> scsi0: blah blah
> scsi1: more stuff
> scsi1: more stuff
> scsi1: more stuff

> which is correct (aha3940 dual-channel controller), the kernel I
> compiled does this:

> scsi0: blah blah
> scsi0: blah blah
> scsi0: blah blah
> scsi bus timeout
> [repeat]

> In other words, it never sees scsi1. I didn't change the SCSI
> setup between the two kernels. The only thing I can think of is
> that I added a sound card (ISA). I'm not sure which SCSI
> options Redhat picked for the aic7xxx driver, but I compiled it
> into the kernel (Y), left TCQ at 8, upped the reset timeout to
> 15 seconds (so I could read the above messages), and said (N) to
> the extra debugging info.

> My first thought was that the aic7xxx driver was buggy in 2.2.5;
> the other possibility that I can come with is that the sound
> card is stealing the controller's 2nd IRQ. The thing with that
> is that the stock kernel boots just fine.

> Should I just get a later 2.2 kernel?

That's probably a good idea anyway - there's quite a few bugs fixed
between 2.2.5 and 2.2.10 so you're probably better off jumping
straight to the latter...

> If the precise error messages would be helpful, let me know, and
> I'll write them down when I get home.

They usually are...

> Thanks for any ideas :)

Best wishes from Riley.