    Subject2.2.5-15 aic7xxx problem?
    Hello, all.

    Recently found time to upgrade to Redhat's 2.2.5-15 kernel; it works
    fine. Got the corresponding source RPM and tried to compile my own --
    compile went fine. Problem is, booting with the new kernel puts me in
    a SCSI loop. Whereas the stock kernel gives something like this on

    scsi0: blah blah
    scsi0: blah blah
    scsi0: blah blah
    scsi1: more stuff
    scsi1: more stuff
    scsi1: more stuff

    which is correct (aha3940 dual-channel controller), the kernel I
    compiled does this:

    scsi0: blah blah
    scsi0: blah blah
    scsi0: blah blah
    scsi bus timeout

    In other words, it never sees scsi1. I didn't change the SCSI setup
    between the two kernels. The only thing I can think of is that I
    added a sound card (ISA). I'm not sure which SCSI options Redhat
    picked for the aic7xxx driver, but I compiled it into the kernel (Y),
    left TCQ at 8, upped the reset timeout to 15 seconds (so I could read
    the above messages), and said (N) to the extra debugging info.

    My first thought was that the aic7xxx driver was buggy in 2.2.5; the
    other possibility that I can come with is that the sound card is
    stealing the controller's 2nd IRQ. The thing with that is that the
    stock kernel boots just fine.

    Should I just get a later 2.2 kernel?

    If the precise error messages would be helpful, let me know, and
    I'll write them down when I get home.

    Thanks for any ideas :)

    "There are just the two us alone in this wilderness.
    I mean, am I missing something?" --Anthony Hopkins, _The Edge_

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.036 / U:46.172 seconds]