    SubjectRe: Clearing the I/O caches? (for benchmark tests)
    "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com> writes:

    > That's fine. The one thing it will _not_ do is clear out cached pages
    > which are still referenced by the virtual memory system. Flushing
    > memory by trying to allocate lots will try to swap that memory out too.
    > Remember, any running binaries or in-use libraries will have pages
    > mapped into some process's address space, so just going through the
    > cache won't get rid of those pages: you'll have to unmap them first by
    > passing through the swapper too.

    This explains why hogging memory was able to cause more cache misses than
    a freshly booted machine.

    --

    tmk

    Tom M. Kroeger Pray for wind
    Graduate Student, UC Santa Cruz \ Pray for waves
    e-mail: tmk@cs.ucsc.edu |\ and Pray it's your day off!
    http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~tmk |~\
    (831) 459-4458 |__\
    (831) 426-9055 home ,----+--

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.026 / U:0.004 seconds]