SubjectRe: OOM
On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Bernd Paysan wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Claus Fischer wrote:

[SNIPPED]

> This is just a sort of conservative capitalistic/aristocratic algorithm.
> If all cheap resources are occupied, allocating new resources becomes more
> expensive. The idea is to keep the setting in a sane state by killing
> newcomers. People don't want to get their two-week simulation killed,
> therefore Rik's algorithm takes total cpu usage (processes with more
> computing power invested are worth more) and runtime into account.

I don't like the idea of killing off tasks that request resources that
are not presently available. I think they should sleep (interruptable)
until resouces are available -if ever. This allows the user to determine
if he/she wants a particular task to continue.

This means that a malicious hog will just go to sleep. This was one
of the nice things about VAX/VMS. Just swap the whole thing to 'mechanical
memory' until resources became available. Under VMS, this was handled
as SRPs and LRPs (small and large request packets). Small packets
were practically always available (512 bytes on VAXen). Large packets
might not be and could force a, sometimes very long, wait.

When I was at GE's Advanced Development Group, working on Ultrasound
simulations, I had a FORTRAN program that would take about a week to
complete. When it completed, often a few terminals in which persons
had attempted to log-in over the past week (and gave up), would
finally come up with the '$' prompt as resources became available
to create the new processes.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.113 / U:1.708 seconds]