SubjectRe: script for compiling the kernel
Hello Riley.

Riley Williams wrote:
> [...]
> The attached bash script is how I would start doing that...
Looks good. Do you want to continue this ? That would be great !
I will be busy for a while improving mkkrl in its simple version without
autodetection. So, when you start the autodetection part we could
combine both in a few weeks. What do you think about it ?

Besides, in my /proc/ioports you have to look for 'parport' not 'lp'.

> [...]
> How does one deal with the fact that the settings that work on one
> configuration do NOT work on another?
>
> As an example of this, take my two systems. I have a USR Sportster
> 33k6/VoiceFax modem, and I need to set it up DIFFERENTLY for the two
> systems. OK, both have it set for COM3 at 0x3E8, but on one, I need to
> set it to use IRQ5 and on the other I need to set it to use IRQ2/9.
There will be always some settings that have to be done manually, but at
least you could find out, which are the POSSIBLE values and only ask to
choose from them.
In this special case: Do you have an internal modem ? I don't know much
about the internal ones. But as far as I know most of these devices are
registered one way or the other in your BIOS and we should be able to
get these informations from there and NOT from the user.

> [...]
> >> One other thought - is your script going to be i386 only?
>
> > No, as long as there is no real good reason for that I want to
> > keep it generic.
>
> Good - but note that there will be (probably large) parts of it that
> are architecture-dependant - the processor model detection for
> starters...

When it becomes to hard I will keep in mind that other people might
extend the script for the other ports and stick to i386.
By the way. I haven't got ANY idea how things work on other
architectures on hardware level ...

Best wishes,
Steffen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.147 / U:0.096 seconds]