    SubjectRe: NFSv3 support (bugs, some fixes, and more)
    >>>Michael Kaminsky said:
    [chomp]
    > From my reading of the above, if an NFS server returns a different
    > file handle for two files that are hard-linked (i.e., the same file
    > on the server), the client cannot assume that they are the same ("no
    > conclusions can be drawn"). So, in the hard link case, the server
    > should be returning the same handle (and the same fileid), right?

    If two filehandles are the same, then that point to the same file
    (bag o bits). If two filehandles are different then they may or
    may not point to the same file. The current Linux nfs server returns
    different filehandles for the same hard linked file if it is opened
    from different directories. This is because the parent directory is
    part of the filehandle.

    Allen

    P.S. This is for clarification and NOT for discussion. We all would like
    this to be different!