SubjectRe: kernel thread support - LWP's
Larry,

I'll bite...

Doesn't/didn't lmbench show that this Sun model performs
better, or was it just the implimentation of the model
that was better than the old?

Mitchell Erblich
Ex-Sun
=============

Larry McVoy wrote:

> : Are there plans in the near future to support proper LWP's in the Linux
> : kernel ? By this I mean multiple threads of execution within the same
> : process id, not multiple processes sharing the same VM, etc. Can I
> : encourage whoever is considering doing this that it would be a very
> : good thing to do ? :)
>
> Sure you could if you had so much as a shred of data which supported
> the idea that it would be a good thing to do. In a short discussion I
> had with Linus about this a month or so ago, he pointed out something
> that should have been obvious, that cloned processes which share VM
> also share the page tables and hence the TLB resources. Why is that
> important? Because it was the one remaining thing that I could see as
> a legit argument for supporting LWPs. Given that that isn't an issue,
> can you think of a single technical reason why LWP's would be better?
>
> I'll warn you up front that I've chewed over this topic at length with
> people like Steve Kleiman, the architect of the the Solaris threading
> model and the guy that taught me much of what I know about operating
> systems, and even he isn't convinced that Solaris model is worth it.
> If the clone() model had been around, I'm 90% sure he would have gone
> with that.
>
> So do you have any supporting data which makes a case that LWP's would
> be better than the current model? I'm willing to believe there is such
> data, but at this point I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.436 / U:0.564 seconds]