SubjectRe: File hinting, and a new file flag?
Lou,
That is a subset of hinting, perhaps the most important subset. Here are
some of the seminal papers on the subject:

TIP - Transparent Informed Prefetching and Cashing
http://www.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/TIP/TIP.html

Exposing IO Concurrency with Informed Prefetching

http://www.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/Publications/HTML-Papers/PDIS94/final.fm.html

TIP is a manual technique, that is, it is a set of system calls that one
sprinkles throughout one's program to initial readahead. Included, of
course, is a system call that says `this file is going to be read
sequentially'. The hinting techique others have been discussing in this
mailing list is, I believe, a method of automatically inserting TIP calls
into existing binaries. The major paper on that subject is:

Automatic I/O Hint Generation thruough Speculative Execution
http://auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/PDL-FTP/TIP/osdi-distrib-abs.html

Joe

>The recent discussion about hinting and speculative execution
>brought to mind something I've long wondered about: Why is
>there no way to specify on a file open that you will be reading
>an entire file sequentially? If the OS knew about the caller's
>intentions at open time,

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.087 / U:0.156 seconds]