SubjectRe: kernel thread support - LWP's
At 12:31 AM 7/15/99 -0600, Larry McVoy wrote:
>Second, for those rare cases where they actually do cost too much,
>that's only on crappy operating systems. The last time I checked, Linux
>process context switches were faster than Solaris LWP context switches.
>So much for that argument.

Larry,

Since you've obviously talked to a lot of good people on this, I was
wondering if you could talk about the only issue I haven't heard you bring
up which is frequently brought up by the LWP/user-thread-scheduler folks.
What about kernel run-queue length? It seems that I've heard the argument
made that LWP's keep you from spending a long time in the kernel scheduler,
which I could see might actually be a good thing.

nate

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.098 / U:0.676 seconds]