Subject[Summary] Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Alexander Viro wrote:
> > Support for CRLF<->LF translation in the kernel must die.
>
> Sounds fair to me. I added it, because in the early days of Linux, we
> were much more dependent on easy access to text data from DOS. This
> has changed, and nowadays, most documents under Win/DOS are binary
> anyway.
>
> It would be nice though if you could follow the usual phase-out
> procedure: flag it as obsolete and printk a warning, then remove it
> and printk an explanation, and finally remove the explanation.

It's a bit late for that - we could do it in 2.1 easily, but now... FAT is
already broken ;-/

OK, summary (so far):
* still no concrete reasons to preserve the thing.
* backwards compatibility is nice, but... it's a matter of
restoring the broken thing now.
* as for the Albert's idea (I assume that archive on
www.kernelnotes.org is accurate) - if you want a simple stream - use popen()
and be done with that. fromdos/todos handle the conversion just fine.
* support for FAT on normal devices (with 512-byte sectors) can
be restored fast. Devices with the large sectors (e.g. ZIP drives) are
trickier, but doable. Support for dmsdos... Hell knows. *Probably* it can
be done, but it will be tricky. OTOH dmsdos will need rewrite anyway.
* IMO the best way to deal with big sectors is the following:
a) normal page cache for device.
b) readpage(), writepage() and swapin() for the fs itself should be the
modified - they should make requests for the underlying pages (in device
cache) and make the completion callbacks to do the rest of work.
c) metadata should directly work with the underlying cache.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.098 / U:0.388 seconds]