    SubjectRe: Large disk partition over 300GB
    Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Marc MERLIN <> wrote:
    > >On 10 Jul 1999 22:30:01 -0700, Jeff - <> wrote:
    > >>disk is about 320GB. But the file system only see roughly 265GB. Is this a
    > >>limitation with the kernel or the file system? It is expected that the
    > >>capacity of the formatted partition will be less. But in this case the loss
    > >>is around 55GB (~ %18) which is quite significant.
    > >
    > >Reformat your partition with:
    > >mke2fs -b 4096 -i 16384 -m 0 -s 1 /dev/device
    > >
    > >You may want to read the mke2fs and decide whether you want to decrease -i a
    > >bit and maybe set -m to 1 instead of 0.
    > Ofcourse you realize that setting -m to 1 or worse, 0, will result
    > in a badly fragmented disk when it fills up and really bad performance.

    I recommend not going below 2 or 3%. For large filesystems I think
    that 5% is indeed a bit much.

    I have a filesystem with -m 1. (I think that... ) I know what I'm
    doing. That filesystem fills up to whatever I need, and then gets
    completely whacked again. It is NOT slowly filling up and then
    hoovering around the "almost full" range, like many filesystems do.

    > The -b 4096 is good advice though, it should be the default on partions
    > bigger than 100 MB or so. -i 16384 also isn't bad if you don't plan on
    > storing lots (and that is _lots_) of small files.

    It will be default soon. Calculate the average filesize for your
    intended usage. Multiply by four for a safe margin.

    The guys looking for oil will for example store at most a few thousand
    300Mb files on a 300Gb partition. Add in a few ten-thousands small
    files, and that'll be all. But maybe you're going to store millions of
    small (< 1k) files, In that case, the 1k blocksize is not a bad idea,
    and the many inodes config isn't too bad either.....

    In conclusion, it pays to do the math on such VERY large filesystems.

    ** ** ** +31-15-2137555 **
    ------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.062 / U:28.368 seconds]